Carpenter Co. has a rewarding opportunity for a Safety Manager at our Pasadena, TX plant.
- Coordinates the facility function of training, including development, presentation and documentation
- Manage the facility functions relating to safety compliance, including:
- Coordination and administration of day to day safety programs
- Analysis of facility procedures, process equipment and chemical properties to identify and proactively respond to potential hazards
- Development of a working knowledge of facility processes and operations, such that proposed changes that could affect the health and safety of employees may be critically reviewed
- Written safety policy development, implementation and administration
- Administration of safety audits, inspection procedures and records
- Development and maintenance of written procedures for the Safety Manual and the Process Safety Management Manual
- Enforcement of facility safety rules and administration of disciplinary procedures for safety violations, as necessary
- Lead Incident Investigation teams and issue written reports on accidents or near misses
- Develop and modify, as necessary, short and long-term plans for the continuous improvement of the facility safety program
- Assume leadership role in the development, implementation and administration of safety programs
- Interpret corporate safety policies and governmental regulations as they apply to the facility.
- Monitor the facility programs, records, written procedures and training initiatives to ensure that the facility is in compliance with all federal, state and local laws regarding safety
- Maintain written documentation of policy and regulatory compliance
- Consult with department management in the identification and resolution of safety issues
- Consult with department management to cooperatively promote and maintain safety and health programs
- Develop, implement and monitor training and orientation programs as necessary to maintain compliance with Corporate and governmental requirements
- Research and develop safety training presentations and provide related training information to department managers and plant personnel
- Review the facility needs at the department level for new employee orientation and safety training
- Manage the WC Program including reporting, claims administration with adjuster and documentation to ensure compliance with State WC Statutes.
- Perform other duties as required to ensure sustainable compliance and continuous improvement in S/H.
Skills / Requirements
Qualified applicants should have:
- Bachelor’s degree in Occupational Health & Safety, Environmental Science or related field is required.
- A minimum of 5 years of safety management, preferably in a chemical plant environment, or equivalent combination sufficient to perform essential functions of this position.
- Ability to interact well with all levels of the organization and maintain strong relationships with team members, peers and internal customers.
- Strong communication and presentation skills, both oral and written.
- Direct experience with employee safety compliance, OSHA standards, safety management systems, industrial hygiene, electrical safety, chemical management and ergonomics.
- Functional knowledge of Federal and State Safety/Health Laws (e.g. OSHA).
- Functional knowledge of Microsoft Word, Excel. Experience working with SAP, preferred.
- Prior experience managing Worker’s Compensation claims is preferred.
No phone calls or agencies please. Pre-employment drug testing is required.
Carpenter Co. is an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or other legally protected characteristic.
Job Status: Full Time