Carpenter Co. has an opening for a Research Chemist at our Reinhart Technical Center in Richmond, Virginia. This position will play a crucial role in providing support for the Chemicals R&D group as a member of our innovative Basic Research Team. You will have the opportunity to play an integral role in advancing our chemical offerings as you help develop our pipeline of Basic Research Projects.
- Conduct independent research on current upstream chemical and foam topics/projects
- Maintain an active and up to date understanding of relevant industry chemistries/technologies, both independently & as a team member, via regular literature searches and evaluation of scientific publications/journals/articles/patents
- Perform lab experiments, conduct investigations, and review literature to assess potential chemistries
- Present findings and project results to a variety of both internal & external customers
- Assist with transfer of research projects as they progress commercially
- Work with both internal/external customers & teams to better understand project requirements
Skills / Requirements
- B.S. in Chemistry with appropriate coursework and/or combination of experience involving polymer/chemical synthesis –3-5 years of relevant experience
- Capacity to demonstrate a general understanding of relevant research and technology
- Ability to contribute new ideas and concepts from both academic and industrial viewpoints
- Working knowledge of good laboratory practices
- Advanced degree in Chemistry preferred
- Thesis or project work beyond normal curriculum, preferred
- Experience publishing articles in scientific journals, identifying research topics, applying for funding, and/or making presentations at conferences
- Proven ability to demonstrate understanding of competitive technologies in a field of study and to contribute new ideas and concepts to products and processes
- Mechanical aptitude and comfortable working in both chemical laboratory and pilot plant environments
Excellent Comprehensive Benefit Plan
- We also have 401K, Profit Sharing and a great Benefit Package including Health, Dental, Vision, Life, Disability and paid time off (Vacation and Holidays).
Carpenter Co. is an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or other legally protected characteristic.
Carpenter Co. conducts pre-employment drug testing on all applicants that receive and accept a written offer of employment.
Job Status: Full Time