Carpenter Co is currently seeking a Regulatory Specialist to join the technical center in Richmond, Virginia. The Regulatory Specialist work collaboratively with and under the guidance of the Product Stewardship Manager in Carpenter Co.'s Corporate Product Stewardship group.
The incumbent will be responsible for working collaboratively with the Product Stewardship Manager, R&D, sales, legal and manufacturing operations to prepare chemical notifications, product registrations, and address import/export requirements to support Carpenter’s growing global businesses.
- Prepare, review and maintain Safety Data Sheets (SDS) and hazard warning labels in accordance with the Globally Harmonized System (GHS) regulations and other requirements for target markets and jurisdictions (i.e., U.S., Canada, EU, South America, etc.)
- Prepare, track and issue Product Regulatory Disclosures (PRD) in response to customer requests
- Obtain, manage and store regulatory disclosures and SDS for raw materials and purchased components. Interpret, categorize and store information in Product Stewardship database or document management system.
- Monitor international, federal, or state regulations for changes that impact Carpenter's supply chain or Carpenter's products. This includes regulations such as: hazard communication, international chemical control regulations (TSCA, REACH, CEPA , etc.,), consumer products regulations, California Proposition 65, dangerous goods transportation, chemical regulations, environmental regulations (HAPs, SARA, RCRA, etc.), banned or restricted substance regulations (i.e., Toxics in Packaging, RoHS, EU SVHC's, Conflict Minerals, etc.).
- Understand manufacturing of intermediates and finished products including their intended and reasonably foreseeable uses. This includes raw materials used, reaction chemistry, factors impacting product quality, and impurities.
- Participate in new chemical review and approval process.
- Understand and apply basic principles of Industrial Hygiene exposure assessment and control including selection of appropriate personal protective equipment, engineering controls, and principles of elimination and substitution.
Skills / Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Industrial Hygiene, Chemistry, Environmental or Health and Safety
- 1-3 years of experience in product stewardship, industrial hygiene, hazcom, chemical safety or environmental regulatory function.
- Prior experience preparing safety data sheets and chemical labeling
- Ability to apply scientific principles and terms in day to day work
- Experience with EHS compliance database/systems
- Intermediate to advanced excel, power point and word skills
Job Status: Full Time