Carpenter Co. has an immediate opening for a Maintenance Mechanic on 2nd Shift at our Elkhart, IN manufacturing plant. This position is responsible for making sure that all machinery, equipment, delivery systems, support systems, building condition and appearance, of items essential to the manufacturing of product(s) for internal and external customers is maintained and operating to meet optimum efficiency.
Carpenter Co. employees are committed to working hard to ensure production goals are met while maintaining operations excellence. The successful candidate will be expected to be in constant communication with department managers and maintenance planner and manager to coordinate production schedules with mechanical repairs. Works in a normal maintenance and manufacturing environment with exposure to temperature changes. Major challenges include working independently on very involved and complex jobs and the timeliness of the job completion to keep down time to a minimum.
Additional responsibilities of the Maintenance Mechanic position will include:
- Perform basic plumbing on machinery and/or equipment.
- Perform basic electrical repair on machinery and/or equipment.
- Perform preventative maintenance on equipment.
- Weld and use a cutting torch, plasma cutter, cut-off saw, and machine-shop equipment.
- Report conditions encountered that may affect the operation of the equipment.
- Fabricate any mechanical assembly, install and make operational.
- Travel to other Carpenter Co. locations when needed.
- Assemble and disassemble equipment.
- Ready equipment for shipment to other locations.
- Read and interpret machine diagrams and plant layout drawings.
- Recognize potential mechanical problems, plan a solution for repair, and implement the plan.
- Maintain plant fire system.
- May serve on plant emergency response team.
- Ability to read and interpret a tape measure(standard and metric).
Skills / Requirements
Major duties and responsibilities of the job can be satisfactorily performed with a high school education or GED, plus 2 or more years' specialty or technical training.
3+ years experience in a manufacturing/industrial environment.
Good communication and advanced math skills.
Must be forklift certified.
Ability to operate a genie boom, and scissor lift.
Ability to read and interpret a tape measure.
Must possess a variety of personally owned industrial hand tools.
Carpenter Co. conducts pre-employment drug testing on all applicants that receive and accept a written offer of employment.
Carpenter Co. offers a comprehensive benefits package including excellent health insurance, generous profit sharing plan, and much more. We offer long-term career opportunities for our employees in a stable industry and clean working environment. We also offer tuition reimbursement to our employees after 1 year of service. Our Elkhart Branch employees average over 10 years of service with the company, and we'd like for you to join us! To learn more, check us out at www.carpenter.com.
2nd Shift Hours: Typically 2pm – 10:30pm
Job Status: Full Time