Assistant Benefits Administrator
Carpenter Co. has an immediate opening for a Benefits Specialist at our corporate office in Richmond, Virginia. The Benefits Specialist will report to the Benefits Manager and will be responsible for the day to day administration of the Carpenter Co. group benefit plans and the administration of the Corporate Division FMLA policy. This includes ensuring the administration of all benefit plans are accurate and in accordance with the Summary Plan Description and internal procedures.
The Benefits Specialist will work closely with internal customers and carriers/third party administrators.
- Provide customer service assistance to division and branch personnel and to employees in resolving benefit issues. Includes issues with eligibility, claims payments, enrollment, changes, and plan issues for all plans.
- In the absence of the Benefits Manager, makes decisions on plan exceptions and overrides for the various benefit plans.
- Act as a liaison between employees and carriers/third party administrators to resolve issues.
- Participate in planning and implementation of annual enrollment for all benefit plans.
- Key updates into SAP involving medical, dental, vision, flexible spending, disability and/or life insurance additions, deletions, or changes. Notify payroll of changes made.
- Administer the group and voluntary life insurance plan. Includes notifying employees of increase approvals/denials, applying for death benefits, and general administration of the plan.
- Run the weekly interfaces in SAP for transmission to the health, vision, dental, and prescription plans. Work with the carrier representatives to research and resolve errors associated with the interface.
- Administer the Corporate Division FMLA plan. Includes sending notices, tracking FMLA time and providing updates to management.
- Administer the in-house COBRA continuation process weekly. Includes mailing weekly notices, collecting payments and notifying the health/vision/dental/FSA carriers of elections and cancellations in a timely manner.
- Administer the Flexible Spending benefit plan daily account balances and works with employees and carrier to solve problems.
- Attend division/branch health fairs and/or other benefit-related meetings as requested and approved at various division and branch locations throughout the year.
- Plan the annual health fair and flu shot events at corporate office.
- Conduct benefit orientation of new corporate employees to provide information on the benefit plans offered.
Skills / Requirements
- Associates degree, preferred
- 3+ years of benefits administration experience
- Excellent technical skills; Excel, Word, PowerPoint
- Excellent communication skills; both oral and written
- Ability to travel up to 30%
- Bilingual (Spanish) preferred
Job Status: Full Time