Pilot Plant Technician
Carpenter Co. has an immediate opening for a Pilot Plant Technician at the Reinhart Technical Center in Richmond, Virginia. The Pilot Plant Technician will perform basic pilot plant operations and experiments as assigned and detailed by their supervisor. This will include operating one or more pilot-scale chemical reactors and gathering data to be summarized and review by the supervisor. The technician will attend regular technical meetings associated with the job.
The Pilot Plant Technician will work closely with chemists or scientists on specific tasks to help develop an understanding of chemical processes and products. Additional responsibilities include:
- Operating pilot plant equipment such as reactors, pumps, and valves, and monitoring operating parameters in order to produce quality products for research and development purposes.
- Manually measuring small quantities of chemical additives with precision and mix small quantities of chemical components together, and charge them into a chemical reactor.
- Assist with maintenance on equipment as well as installation of new equipment.
- Log important process data to ensure good record keeping and to allow troubleshooting of process issues.
- Safely and responsibly handle hazardous chemicals during storage tank filling, chemical metering, and maintenance operations, using appropriate personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Assist in maneuvering materials in totes, drums, and smaller containers.
Skills / Requirements
- High school diploma or equivalent required
- 3+ years of prior chemical plant of manufacturing experience
- Basic understanding of standard laboratory and safety practices
- Ability to work with a team
- Excellent mechanical aptitude
- Excellent communication skills; both oral and written
- Ability to work shift work that will include days and nights
Job Status: Full Time