National Health and Safety Manager
Carpenter Co is currently seeking a National Health and Safety Managerto join their corporate office in Richmond, Virginia. The National Health and Safety Managerprovides leadership and direction for S&H activities throughout the North American manufacturing facilities. The incumbent will be responsible for development and implementation of a safety and health management system (SHMS) which will focus on the reduction, mitigation and control of work-related injuries and illnesses and associated workers' compensation costs. The National Health and Safety Manageris responsible for ensuring compliance with Federal, State and Provincial safety and health standards, and drives results by being a creative resource and passionate advocate of safety and health.
Through strategic initiatives theNational Health and Safety Managerprovides professional and technical support and advice and directs the desired safety objectives throughout the company. This will involve collaboration with Corporate Management, Senior Vice Presidents, Division and Plant Managers, Safety/Health Managers and Human Resource Managers and Engineers. The National Health and Safety Manager will also work closely with the Workers’ Compensation Insurance Carriers, and Insurance Broker to ensure quality claims management.
- Conduct trend analyses of occupational injuries/illnesses to target prevention efforts.
- Develop and implement continuous improvement objectives that are aligned with the Carpenter Co. Safety and Health Management System (SHMS).
- Write and communicate comprehensive safety/health processes meeting or exceeding Federal and /or State OSHA Safety and Health Standards, Provincial Codes and International Standards.
- Perform compliance audits and management system reviews throughout the company (U.S., and Canada) on a routine basis.
- Write Company safety/health policies, processes, and procedures to control and mitigate risk to reduce the frequency and severity of occupational injuries and illnesses.
- Lead quarterly Corporate Environmental and Safety and Health (EHS) Committee Meetings and set the agenda.
- Prepare an annual report that compiles injury types, cause, and cost data. The report will contain recommended control measures that will be communicated to corporate management via the Corporate EHS Committee.
- Oversee the administration of high cost Workers’ Compensation claims. Coordinate with facility management and corporate management on claims greater than $10,000.
- Compile and distribute a Monthly Occupational Injury/Illness and Vehicle Report for l corporate management and Divisions/Branches.
- Perform thorough accident investigations as needed of all serious Company injuries.
- Facilitate distribution of Serious Incident Alerts (SIA's) on serious injuries and or serious potential near miss incidents to all operating units to communicate findings and recommendations to prevent similar accident types.
- As a matter of oversight inform Corporate Management concerning any serious hazards that are not resolved to the highest expectation.
- Conduct safety training and assign safety duties to the Division or Plant Safety Managers.
- When requested, provide input in the planning, designing, and developing machine safeguarding systems for production equipment.
Skills / Requirements
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in safety or industrial hygiene
- Certified Safety Professional and/or Certified Industrial Hygienist preferred
- 7-10 years of health and safety experience in chemical manufacturing or related manufacturing industry
- Expert knowledge of Safety and Health regulations and laws
- Strong technical ability to work, collaborate and negotiate with governmental agencies; OSHA, NRC, EPA etc.
- Strong communication skills and ability to interact with individuals at all levels
- Ability to travel up to 50%
Job Status: Full Time