Carpenter Co. has an immediate opening for a 2nd Shift (2:00pm to 10:30pm) and 3rd Shift (10:00pm to 6:30pm) Maintenance Mechanic at our Richmond, VA manufacturing plant. This position reports to the Maintenance Manager, and is responsible for troubleshooting, repairing, installing, or replacing mechanical equipment or mechanical, electrical, and electro-mechanical devices and components. Additionally, the Mechanic will often fabricate any mechanical devices or items which will require shop skills or tools as requested. The successful candidate will communicate continuously with department managers and employees to coordinate mechanical and electrical repairs.
Responsible for making sure that all machinery, equipment, delivery systems, support systems, building condition and appearance, of items essential to the manufacturing of product(s) for internal and external customers is maintained and operating to meet optimum efficiency. The position must be in constant communication with department managers and maintenance planner and manager to coordinate production schedules with mechanical repairs. Works in a normal maintenance and manufacturing environment with exposure to temperature changes and working in confined spaces. Major challenges include working independently on very involved and complex jobs and the timeliness of the job completion to keep down time to a minimum and working with little or no supervision. Must possess a required variety of personally owned industrial hand tools.
- Must have the ability to repair all equipment in the plant with little or no supervisor.
- Must be able to interpret and use complicated drawings, using basic shop math, and handbook formulas.
- Must have the ability to cut and weld steel, braze, solder, fabricate machinery and parts, basic plumbing and electrical skills.
- Must have the ability to be on call and report for work with little prior notice on weekends, holidays, and any hour of the day or night insuring there is the least amount of downtime as possible.
- Must have the ability to recognize mechanical problems before a breakdown through an established preventative maintenance program and report conditions encountered that may affect the operation of the equipment at its optimum efficiency.
- Must have the ability to fabricate any mechanical assembly, install the equipment and make it operational.
- Responsible for training all new Mechanics, Trainees and B Class Mechanics.
- Acts as a Lead Person occasionally to coordinate projects and equipment breakdowns repairs in the absence of the Maintenance Lead Person and/or Maintenance Manager.
- Must be very knowledgeable of the purchase order system and the parts needed to keep plant machinery operating.
- Must be a certified forklift operator, and know how to operate genie boom, and scissor lift.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
No phone calls or agencies, please.
Carpenter Co. is an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or other legally protected characteristic.
Drug Testing Required.
Skills / Requirements
- High School Diploma or GED
- 2+ years experience in a manufacturing/warehouse/plant/industrial environment
- 2+ years of specialty or technical training
- Good communication and advanced math skills
- Ability to operate a variety of powered equipment (forklift, genie boom, scissor lift, etc.)
- Ability to read and interpret a tape measure
- Must possess a variety of personally owned industrial hand tools
- Must be able to work flexible hours, weekends, holidays and call-in with little notice
Job Status: Full Time