Carpenter Co. has an immediate opening for a Grinding Operator on 3rd shift [10:00pm - 6:00am] at our Elkhart, Indiana foam manufacturing plant. This position is responsible for cutting open bales of trim & scrap foam, using a squeeze forklift to transport foam into a grinding hopper, operating the grinding equipment, and stacking trim bales in the storage area while meeting production and quality standards for the department. The hourly pay rate for this position is $18.87 to $20.46.
Carpenter Co. employees are committed to working hard to ensure production goals are met while maintaining operations excellence. The successful candidate will be expected to communicate both verbally and written with the department and supervisor. This position will also involve proper set up of materials and equipment to produce a product that meets customer specifications and company standards.
Additional responsibilities of the Grinding Operator will include:
- Wear all necessary personal protective equipment: Face shield, long sleeves, cut resistant sleeves and gloves, etc.
- Ability to stand/walk and look upward for long periods of time.
- Forklift certified or ability to be forklift certified.
- Operate forklift to pick up or move materials and will pull raw materials from inventory/stock area.
- Communicate effectively and work well with others.
- Some computer skills required.
- Will stagger breaks with co-workers and work flexible hours including overtime.
- Must be self-motivated.
- Ability to record grinding weights, maintain grinding log, monitor and make adjustments to the storage bins ensuring accurate amounts of foam.
- Empty scrap metal in outside storage bin.
- Ensure correct material is being put into bins.
- Use band cutters to cut bands that are sometimes buried in bales and difficult to cut that weigh approximately 6 lbs.
- Use bolt cutters to cut wires.
- Will clean the grind area and maintain value of order.
- Ability to lift and maneuver foam weighing up to 50 pounds.
- Some overtime may be required with little to no notice.
Skills / Requirements
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree Preferred.
- Two years manufacturing experience is preferred.
- Machine operator experience required.
- Forklift experience and certification preferred.
- Basic reading, writing, and math skills.
- Basic Computer experience required and SAP preferred.
Carpenter Co. conducts pre-employment drug testing on all applicants that receive and accept a written offer of employment.
Carpenter Co. offers a comprehensive benefits package including excellent health insurance, generous profit sharing plan, and much more. We offer long-term career opportunities for our employees in a stable industry and clean working environment. We also offer tuition reimbursement to our employees after 1 year of service. Our Elkhart Branch employees average over 10 years of service with the company, and we'd like for you to join us! To learn more, check us out at www.carpenter.com.
3rd Shift Hours: Typically 10pm- 6am Monday through Friday
Pay: $18.87 to $20.46/hour
Excellent pay and benefits! Profit Sharing! Growth!
Job Status: Full Time