General Ledger Accountant
Carpenter Co. has an exciting career opportunity available for a General Ledger Accountant at our corporate office in Richmond, VA. This is a great opportunity to join a thriving organization committed to operational excellence that offers stability, excellent benefits and a place to learn and grow professionally.
The General Ledger Accountant will be responsible for assisting in the month-end close process, helping prepare financial statements, coordinating intercompany schedules, completing bank reconciliations, as well as performing other various tasks related to particular GL accounts and the close process. The General Ledger Accountant will work with a wide range of individuals at Corporate, Divisions and at the International level – especially during the monthly close process.
- Update monthly exchange rate schedule to distribute & accurately upload to the SAP system.
- Assist manager and other departments to ensure they are recording to the proper GL accounts and help determine solutions as situations arise.
- Prepare and coordinate month-end intercompany schedules between domestic and international locations. Key necessary journal entries to compliment ICO schedules including Sprint charges, computer charges, Trim invoices, reclass balances and unrealized gains/losses.
- Initiate journal entries in SAP for month-end close, including Carpenter’s Manulife Stock, cash surrender value of Corporate owned Life Insurance, KPMG audit fee accruals, & Negative cash. As well as combine cash account balances between company codes and net balances between intercompany accounts.
- Maintain various GL accounts including but not limited to accrued expenses, cash in suspense, employee relocation, prepaid expenses and allocating forklift costs, and review petty cash reconciliations from domestic plant locations.
- Reconcile US & Canadian cash accounts and corporate investment accounts. Resolve any reconciling items in a timely manner.
- Assist in preparing the monthly financial statements for international subsidiaries and update management sales schedule.
- Review the monthly management financial statements to identify discrepancies to be adjusted before distribution to management.
- Participate in year-end audit tasks, preparing and reviewing year-end financials for accuracy, tying out
Skills / Requirements
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or related discipline
- 3+ years of prior accounting experience
- Strong understanding and knowledge of GAAP
- Advanced knowledge of Microsoft Office Excel
- Excellent communication skills; both oral and written
Job Status: Full Time