Entry Level Maintenance Mechanic/Utility Position
Carpenter Co. has immediate openings for an entry level Maintenance Mechanic on 1st shift at our Elkhart, IN manufacturing plant. This position is responsible for making sure that all machinery, equipment, delivery systems, support systems, building condition and appearance, of items essential to the manufacturing of product(s) for internal and external customers is maintained and operating to meet optimum efficiency
Carpenter Co. employees are committed to working hard to ensure production goals are met while maintaining operations excellence. The successful candidate will be expected to be in constant communication with department managers and maintenance planner and manager to coordinate production schedules with mechanical repairs. Works in a normal maintenance and manufacturing environment with exposure to temperature changes. Major challenges include working independently on very involved and complex jobs and the timeliness of the job completion to keep down time to a minimum and working with little or no supervision. Must possess a required variety of personally owned industrial hand tools.
Additional responsibilities of the position will include:
- Must have the ability to repair all equipment in the plant with little or no supervisor.
- Must be able to interpret and use complicated drawings, using basic shop math, and handbook formulas.
- Must have the basic ability to cut and weld steel, braze, solder, fabricate machinery and parts, basic plumbing and electrical skills.
- Must have the ability to be on call and report for work with little prior notice on weekends, holidays, and any hour of the day or night insuring there is the least amount of downtime as possible.
- Must have the ability to recognize mechanical problems before a breakdown through an established preventative maintenance program and report conditions encountered that may affect the operation of the equipment at its optimum efficiency.
- Must be very knowledgeable of the purchase order system and the parts needed to keep plant machinery operating.
- Must be a certified forklift, and know how to operate genie boom, and scissor lift.
- Must be able to work with production and operator to solve issues with the operation and improvement of production equipment.
- Other duties as assigned by management such as picking up trash, sweeping, shoveling, discarding trash and unneeded items and VOO cleaning.
Skills / Requirements
Major duties and responsibilities of the job can be satisfactorily performed with a high school education or GED plus two (2) to three (3) years of specialty or technical training.
This position requires one (1) to two (2) years of manufacturing maintenance experience or one (1) to three (3) years' experience in an industrial environment. On the job training is available to gain additional knowledge of specialized machinery and support systems. Must be able to read a tape measure. Basic reading, writing, and math skills are required. Must have the ability to work with computer systems. Must be able to follow written and verbal instructions. Must be able to earn a Forklift Certification from Carpenter Co.
Carpenter Co conducts pre-employment drug tests on all applicants that receive and accept a written offer of employment.
Carpenter Co. offers a comprehensive benefits package including excellent health insurance, generous profit sharing plan, and much more. We offer long-term career opportunities for our employees in a stable industry and clean working environment. We also offer tuition reimbursement to our employees after 1 year of service. Our Elkhart Branch employees average over 10 years of service with the company, and we'd like for you to join us! To learn more, check us out at www.carpenter.com.
1st Shift Hours: Typically 6am - 2:30pm
Job Status: Full Time