Carpenter Co. has an exciting career opportunity available for a Controls Engineer at our Reinhart Technical Center in Richmond, VA. The Controls Engineer is responsible for the design, installation, and maintenance of new and existing electrical control systems for the Corporate Engineering Group. The work requires a knowledge of both machine controls and process controls. Smaller projects are performed independently, while larger projects are performed as a member of a project team. Typical office work includes preparing design/construction documentation, purchasing materials/services, coordinating construction/installation/schedule with contractors and Carpenter personnel in the manufacturing locations.
- Develop requirements, design and implement electrical control systems for machinery and processes
- Investigate and generate ideas related to industrial processes and machinery controls
- Upgrade of obsolete electrical controls on existing machinery
- Design, program, and commission the electrical controls projects within our manufacturing plants
- Create and/or modify electrical drawings to be used for construction and installation, generate materials lists, solicit quotations, and purchase materials/services
- Compile estimated and actual costs for the design and manufacture of control systems
- Negotiate with vendors, panel shops and electrical contractors to build and install systems
- Work with our plant manufacturing personnel to coordinate and schedule the installations
- Technical support of new and existing systems; assisting plant staff to resolve difficult electrical/controls problems, implementing control system improvements, and recommending solutions for obsolete controls components
Skills / Requirements
- Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or equivalent
- 3+ years experience of programming and control of industrial machinery and processes
- Ability to travel 25% - 30%
- Experience with:
- Machinery controls and/or industrial process control
- Creating drawings for electrical controls hardware with a CAD software, AutoCad strongly preferred
- Startup/commissioning of AC drive and/or servo systems such as Allen Bradley Powerflex and Kinetix series
- Allen Bradley RSlogix 5, 500, or 5000
- Siemens Step 7 classic and/or TIA
- Experience designing/programming/commissioning:
- Software for control systems utilizing Allen Bradley PLCs with Studio 5000
- Operator interfaces (HMI) using Rockwell FactoryTalk View or similar software
- Electrical controls hardware, including panel layouts, panel power distribution, and safety systems
- Strong mechanical aptitude
Excellent Comprehensive Benefit Plan
- We also have 401K, Profit Sharing and a great Benefit Package including Health, Dental, Vision, Life, Disability and paid time off (Vacation and Holidays).
Carpenter Co. is an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or other legally protected characteristic.
Carpenter Co. conducts pre-employment drug testing on all applicants that receive and accept a written offer of employment.