Carpenter Co. has immediate openings for Maintenance Mechanics on all shifts at our Elkhart, IN manufacturing plant. This position is responsible for making sure that all machinery, equipment, delivery systems, support systems, building condition and appearance, of items essential to the manufacturing of product(s) for internal and external customers is maintained and operating to meet optimum efficiency
Carpenter Co. employees are committed to working hard to ensure production goals are met while maintaining operations excellence. The successful candidate will be expected to The position must be in constant communication with department managers and maintenance planner and manager to coordinate production schedules with mechanical repairs. Works in a normal maintenance and manufacturing environment with exposure to temperature changes. Major challenges include working independently on very involved and complex jobs and the timeliness of the job completion to keep down time to a minimum and working with little or no supervision. Must possess a required variety of personally owned industrial hand tools.
Additional responsibilities of the position will include:
The position must be in constant communication with department managers and maintenance planner and manager to coordinate production schedules with mechanical repairs. Works in a normal maintenance and manufacturing environment with exposure to temperature changes. Major challenges include working independently on very involved and complex jobs and the timeliness of the job completion to keep down time to a minimum and working with little or no supervision. Must possess a required variety of personally owned industrial hand tools.
- Must have the ability to repair all equipment in the plant with little or no supervisor.
- Must be able to interpret and use complicated drawings, using basic shop math, and handbook formulas.
- Must have the ability to cut and weld steel, braze, solder, fabricate machinery and parts, basic plumbing and electrical skills.
- Must have the ability to be on call and report for work with little prior notice on weekends, holidays, and any hour of the day or night insuring there is the least amount of downtime as possible.
- Must have the ability to recognize mechanical problems before a breakdown through an established preventative maintenance program and report conditions encountered that may affect the operation of the equipment at its optimum efficiency.
- Must have the ability to fabricate any mechanical assembly, install the equipment and make it operational.
- Responsible for training all new Mechanics, Trainees and B Class Mechanics.
- Acts as a Lead Person occasionally to coordinate projects and equipment breakdowns repairs in the absence of the Maintenance Lead Person and/or Maintenance Manager.
- Must be very knowledgeable of the purchase order system and the parts needed to keep plant machinery operating.
- Must be a certified forklift operator, and know how to operate genie boom, and scissor lift.
- Other duties as assigned by management.
Skills / Requirements
Major duties and responsibilities of the job can be satisfactorily performed with a high school education or GED plus two (2) to three (3) years of specialty or technical training.
This position requires four (4) to six (6) years of manufacturing maintenance experience. Some on the job training is available for specialized equipment maintenance. Must be able to read a tape measure. Basic reading, writing, and math skills are required. Must have the ability to work with computer systems. Must be able to follow written and verbal instructions. Must be able to earn a Forklift Certification from Carpenter Co.
Carpenter Co. is an equal opportunity employer and considers all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or other legally protected characteristic.
Drug testing required.
Carpenter Co. offers a comprehensive benefits package including excellent health insurance, generous profit sharing plan, and much more. We offer long-term career opportunities for our employees in a stable industry and clean working environment. We also offer tuition reimbursement to our employees after 1 year of service. Our Elkhart Branch employees average over 10 years of service with the company, and we'd like for you to join us! To learn more, check us out at www.carpenter.com.
1st Shift Hours: Typically 6am - 2:30pm
2nd Shift Hours: Typically 2pm – 10:30pm
3rd Shift Hours: Typically 10pm – 6:30am
Job Status: Full Time